Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: North London John
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:35:02 +0100

On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 12:47  pm, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:

I don't believe it would be appropriate for AFFS to have an official
presence at this event.

What would be considered as an official presence?

A desk with leaflets and energetic members willing to chat about the need for software freedom is all what would be needed in any party political convention.

Would it be possible to do cd-roms with Free Software (Mozilla, OpenOffice, Knoppix) and Free writings? Demonstrate our principles as well as talk about them.

I thought there was a special reason for attending Marxism 2003 ..... to highlight the hypocritical practices of the system admins of the SWP.

Also, it was suggested because it's broader than just the SWP - spanning Labour leftwards. Bringing Free Software to the attention of unions would be a benefit. (And connecting with other NGOs concerned with intellectual property law - eg the various campaigns opposing Monsanto's seed patents.)

Maybe more information and introductory leaflets stating our position as purely software freedom related is needed. In fact there are other resources dedicated to marxist free software campaigners to avoid some of the common misunderstandings we might have experienced in the past (ie, point away for any party political animal who misses the point).

I thought there was a lack of marxist free software resources? Could you post details/urls/etc?

(On a tangent, the party conference season will be here in a few months - it's not too early to consider attending those.)

John Levin