RE: [Fsfe-uk] Friday's AGM - education and AFFS

From: Andrew Atkinson
Subject: RE: [Fsfe-uk] Friday's AGM - education and AFFS
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 19:12:06 +0100

Hello

I'll keep it a little shorter than Ian's, but mainly because I cannot say as
much. I am an ICT coordinator (the person who manages anything to do with
ICT) in a large successful secondary school.
I am interested in anything that reduces dependence on MS but am overwhelmed
and usually take the politically easier way out.

That's it for where I am in education but here are a few thoughts from the
chalk face.

We are always trying to move away from MS but the time and implications are
not simple. We have about 300 machines all running over sixty pieces of
software. Most educational and therefore MS based. Most also not really
written to be network friendly. All this is run by one person and it has to
work well.

I am interested in anything that reduces dependence on MS but am overwhelmed
and usually take the politically easier way out.

Andrew

PS Ian I liked the look of INGOTs, should be good for a lunch time club.