Re: [Fsfe-uk] Glyph design -- Copyright

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Glyph design -- Copyright
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:21:09 +0100

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 10:07:41AM +0100, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:
> Is there a copyright guru on this list?

No, but you've got me !! :o)

> I would like to find out if character shapes are copyrightable in the UK.

Yep, they are, although they are not treated as literary works - i.e., no
moral rights subsist in them, only economic ones. For the most part, that
doesn't make any difference to you, though.

I think you'll find that they're copyrightable works in any Berne Convention
country. I will try to dig out some references if you're interested.

Cheers,

Alex.