[Fsfe-uk] Microsod licences

From: PFJ
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Microsod licences
Date: 29 May 2003 14:00:27 +0100

Hi,

UK Universities are hot beds for MS sucking. However, we're just
realising how fscking expensive it is.

Take my job (no, not literally!). I have been upgrading a pile of Tiny
boxes to something decent (new mobo, memory, processor, video card). The
originals were horridly unreliable (well, it was Tiny!), the new boxes
are lovely. Any usable bits (such as the HD, CD, Floppy and network
card) were also transfered to the new box.

The next stage of the plan is to upgrade another 20 or so P3/450 RM
machines, but then something struck me. I could not move those horrid M$
licence stickers. I ask for advice. FAST didn't reply, neither did MS.
Our ISD section did.

While the drives are in the old boxes, the copy of Windows is licenced
properly. As soon as the drive is put into a new box, it becomes
unlicenced which means an additional 65 quid for an OEM copy of Windows.
That is bloody ridiculous! The install is the same, the drive is the
same - nothing much has changed.

Talk about a bloody rip off!!!

TTFN

Paul

P.S. Dunno if you lot have seen this...

http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/30912.html

Made me happy :-)
--
Open your mind to a time where a company does not have control
Open your mind to a choice of applications which you can control