gash-devel

Gash 0.3.0 released

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Gash 0.3.0 released
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 16:48:50 -0500

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to report that I just tagged version 0.3.0 in Git and
uploaded a release tarball to

    https://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/gash/gash-0.3.0.tar.gz

Hooray!

(You can find the GPG signature by appending “.sig” to the above URL.)

There’s not really any recent developments.  It’s just putting a stamp
on the work done over the last two years.  An excerpt from the NEWS file
is provided below.

Thanks to Stephen J. Scheck for contributing the language specification!

Next on the list of the things to do:

  • Release Gash-Utils 0.2.0.
  • Use the new versions to simplify the Guix bootstrap (the work is
    already done, it’s just a matter of cleaning up the patches and
    landing them in Guix).

Likely future directions:

  • Port to Mes.
  • Write a shell script compiler.
  • Clean up Gash-Utils to make it more useful from Scheme.

Enjoy!

-- Tim

Noteworthy changes in release 0.3.0 (2022-02-11)

New features

  - Arithmetic expansion.
  - Simple asynchronous commands.
  - A language specification is now provided, allowing you to use the
    evaluator from the Guile REPL by typing ",L sh".
  - Redirects now honor the 'noclobber' option.
  - The 'wait' built-in.
  - The 'umask' built-in can now display the current umask.

Bug fixes

  - An empty command will now reset the status.
  - The 'read-sh' procedure now reads from 'current-input-port' by
    default (before it used 'current-output-port').

Miscellaneous improvements

  - Various performance improvements.
  - Word expansion has been split into two steps, paving the way for a
    compiler.
  - Guile 3.0 is now explicitly supported.