gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] More Code Cleanup...

From: Robert Alan Byer
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] More Code Cleanup...
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 19:54:01 -0500

>> Also, while compiling gcl/gmp/random.c under OpenVMS I got the following
>> warning.
>>
>>        return mrand48 () | (mrand48 () << 32);
>>      .......................^
>>      %CC-W-SHIFTCOUNT, In this statement, the shift count "32" is negative
>> or is
>>      greater than or equal to the promoted size of the operand
>> "mrand48(...)".
>>      at line number 38 in file DISK$WORK:[TEST.GCL.GMP]URANDOM.H;1
>>
>> and also got the same above error when compiling gcl/gmp/mpz/random.c
>>

>This looks a little alarming.  It would appear that there is some
>fixed size misconfiguration going on.  My 32 bit machine does not
>select this version of random.c, so I don't have this code in my
>build.  Perhaps you can see what type mrand48 is declared, and why the
>code thinks it can shift it be 32 bits.  (It would seem that a 48bit
>object would be a likely candidate.  But apparently the compiler does
>not agree.)

I've tracked this down and have fixed it.  The reason was because on
Tru64 Alpha the "random()" function returns a double and it was shifting
it down to 32-bits.

I just changed the #ifdef to check for OpenVMS and if so igore that part of
the code and have it use another definition, which it does (just like the VAX
version does) and I don't get the warning.

To MAKE SURE that I didn't break anything in the process I recompiled
everything on OpenVMS VAX and OpenVMS Alpha and ran the tests and they
all passed and no compiler warnings.

Here's a summary...

MPN Test:       OpenVMS Alpha:          OpenVMS VAX:

ADDMUL_1        PASS                    PASS
ADD_N           PASS                    PASS
COPY            PASS                    PASS
DIVMOD_1        PASS                    PASS
LSHIFT          PASS                    PASS
MUL_1           PASS                    PASS
RSHIFT          PASS                    PASS
SUBMUL_1        PASS                    PASS
SUB_N           PASS                    PASS
TST-ADDSUB      PASS                    PASS
(Note: The MPN tests arn't built on Tru64 so I don't know if they work)

MPZ Test:       Tru64 Alpha:    OpenVMS Alpha:          OpenVMS VAX:

T-MUL           PASS            PASS                    PASS
T-TDIV          PASS            PASS                    PASS
T-TDIV_UI       PASS            PASS                    PASS
T-FDIV          PASS            PASS                    PASS
T-FDIV_UI       PASS            PASS                    PASS
T-GCD           FAIL            FAIL                    FAIL
DIVE            PASS            PASS                    PASS
T-SQRTREM       FAIL            FAIL                    FAIL
CONVERT         PASS            PASS                    PASS
IO              PASS            PASS                    PASS
LOGIC           PASS            PASS                    PASS
BIT             PASS            PASS                    PASS
T-POW           FAIL            FAIL                    FAIL
T-POWM          FAIL            FAIL                    FAIL
T-POWM_UI       FAIL            FAIL                    FAIL
T-2EXP          PASS            PASS                    PASS
REUSE           FAIL            FAIL                    FAIL
T-ROOT          PASS            PASS                    PASS
T-JAC           FAIL            FAIL                    FAIL
T-BIN           FAIL            FAIL                    FAIL
T-MISC          PASS            PASS                    PASS

So the OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS VAX versions both PASS all the
tests that the Tru64 Alpha GMP tests pass (as well as others have reported
to pass).

It would be good to determine which of the above tests are good indications
of a working GMP library.

So this is good news as it now looks like we'll have the VAX platform for
OpenVMS as well as Alpha for GCL.

 | Robert Alan Byer | address@hidden | ICQ #65926579 |
 | Send an E-mail request to obtain a copy of my PGP key.      |
 | "It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by |
 |  cans of cola the thoughts aquire speed, the hands acquire  |
 |  shakes, the shakes become a warning.  It is by caffeine    |
 |  alone I set my mind in motion."                            |