gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [ 101603 ] numerical quirks

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [ 101603 ] numerical quirks
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:43:18 -0500

Camm Maguire wrote:
Greetings!  I'm forwarding your note to the address@hidden list to
solicit comments on what a compliant lisp system should do in the
instances you note.  They all fall under the general rubric of fixed
precision floating point arithmetic.  Is lisp supposed to be able to
handle arbitrary precision floating point?

Not usually.

Does any implementation do
this?

Clisp allows long-floats with essentially arbitrary precision. You just do (setf (long-float-digits) 1024) and you have floats with 1024 bits of precision.

I heard rumors once that clisp used gmp for floats too.

I don't think that's true. Clisp has always used it's own implementation. I think it's as good as gmp.

From
my understanding of earlier threads, a lisp implementation is not
supposed to be able to recognize and return exact answers to special
floating point problems, e.g. cos(pi/2), sqrt(-1), etc.

I don't think Lisp is forbidden from doing this. See CLHS, section 12.1.3.3.

Aloha,

Ray