gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Maxima] Re: Maxima cmucl patch

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Maxima] Re: Maxima cmucl patch
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:57:35 -0500

    Camm> That's interesting, if I understand you correctly.  Is there any
    Camm> available real-world system making use of 'dynamically-defined'
    Camm> programs and routines?  If your system generates a function at runtime
    Camm> and decides to compile it, why does it need to know where it is on a
    Camm> dependency tree?

So you can redo it later if necessary?  Nothing like fixing a bug, and
forgetting to save the file that contained your bug fix. :-)

    Camm> While your at it, though this is somewhat off topic -- could you
    Camm> please explain to me to what lisp development experts are referring
    Camm> when they tout the ability to modify a running program?  The closest
    Camm> procedure I can imagine fitting this description would be to fire up
    Camm> gdb, attach to a running daemon, break at a point, 'p var =
    Camm> new_value', 'detach'.  Of course the program is not 'running' when
    Camm> stopped.  Operations on sql databases have a similar quality.  But as
    Camm> far as I know, barring more recent developments such as multithreaded
    Camm> extensions, lisp has a single flow of control.  Perhaps is meant
    Camm> executing a saved image, modifying, saving the image, and copying that
    Camm> to the location used in future invocations?

I've heard of much more complicated things, but what I've done is stop
a running program, type in (or paste, or load) a new function, and
continue where I left off.  I did not stop to save and reload the
image or anything.  I think if you have threads, you don't even have
to stop the running program, and many Lisps have threads of some sort.

Ray

If there's a disclaimer following this, the powers that be
automatically add this to outgoing mail.  I didn't do it, honest!

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s).
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you
believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by
replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it.
Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption,
unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive
e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption,
interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.