gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Maxima + Java

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Maxima + Java
Date: 11 Feb 2004 09:40:53 -0500

Greetings!

"George N. White III" <address@hidden> writes:

> > *) larger market share due to platform independence
>
> Not if your project is tied to platforms that support the
> required hooks to maxima.  Not if your project is too big to
> run on the majority of Java platforms (PDA's, etc.).

Just wanted to note in passing here that to my understanding, it can
well be argued that gcl/maxima is far more portable than most (any?)
java program.  All 12 Debian architectures, windows, solaris, xBSD --
the arm linux build will work on the most common PDA chips (I
constructed my self a PDA gcl/axiom build!), and the rest should be
x86 compatible.  And there is no additional runtime required to be
installed, not even gcl itself, just a simple binary with optional
shared library linkages.  And don't forget that the base language is
open, standardized, stable, and has decades of real world use.  You
most likely will also see performance advantages if the papers I've
read are still current.

All this having been said, as gcl is based on C, it shouldn't be too
difficult to interface to java, esp. via gcj, as others have pointed
out.

Take care,