gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] General GCL quesions

From: Eric Merritt
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] General GCL quesions
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:37:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm not really sure why this is either.  But I
> suspect that at least
> some component stems from the general attitude among
> lisp developers
> that public domain stuff is better than GNU-like
> licensed software.
> My opinion is that while the former may be in some
> commercially minded
> developers' best short term interest, the latter is
> definitely more in
> the best interest of the users and the long term
> viability of the
> project as a whole.  I also think that this apparent
> bias towards
> closed source lisp has nearly (or actually, only
> time will tell)
> killed the language, with all the resultant
> implementation fracturing,
> etc.  Am hoping that GCL can be to lisp what GCC has
> been to C.

 Just to add to this, its a general perception that
using GCL forces all of the compiled code to be under
the GPL as well. This is what kept me from looking at
GCL for the longest time. I don't have any problem
with the GPL and have used it in more then one
project, but I don't like the idea of being forced to
use it just becuase I chose a particular language. I
think many other developers share my feelings in this.

 Fortunatly this is a misconception as you and Mike
pointed out to me recently.

> Just tried to add one now on savannah, and
> apparently this facility is
> temporarily disabled.  Please remind me in a bit and
> I'll try again.

 I put an 'unsanctioned' one out on yahoo groups
called gcl beginners back when this was first posted.
I will delete it.  I started a newbie faq out there as
well, I would be nice if there was an easy place to
put/add this type of faq information. At the moment I
havn't found a gcl faq at all.

> I think it is a question of priorities.  Most would
> rather us improve
> ansi compliance first, no?

 Yes, yes. If people really need some type of
multi-tasking cooperative multi-tasking is reasonable
easy to implement in lisp.