gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] New GMP configuration avoidance and generalcommunication

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] New GMP configuration avoidance and generalcommunication notes
Date: 07 Sep 2004 12:28:26 -0400

Greetings, and thanks as always Mike for your great work here!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Camm.
>
> | > 2. Automating the setting of C stack size and related items.
> | This has been
> | > working well for almost a month now with the default stack size, but I'm
> | > stuck on how to pass the configurable stack size (CSSIZE) into the
> | > configure.in test for the C Stack address (CSTACK_ADDRESS) - the final
> | > connection.
> |
> | Wondering whether configure can read an rusage limit component on Mingw...
>
> No, and as far as I can tell, the only way to determine the start of the C
> stack is by checking the location of a local variable at runtime.  I was
> hoping to do that at configuration time to speed up NULL_OR_ON_CSTACK but
> I'm starting to think that is not necessarily a major optimisation, so maybe
> I'll just leave it as it is currently and just retain the configuration of
> the actual size of the C stack.

I don't think the performance issue is of much significance, but I do
think that getting robustly correct bounds on the C stack is important
on correctly handling a lot of stack overflow conditions.  I have a
patch set, not yet committed, which restores the older sigaltstack
functionality enabling safe traps of C stack overruns, which trigger a
trappable segfault at least on Linux.  Would be great to extend this
across the board.

> | > I am also curious as to the state of your 2.7.0 planning.
> | >

> | Have obviously been a bit delayed in putting together this message --
> | will try to soon.
>
> Don't hurry - I think we may all have other things to do presently, and I
> was merely indulging my curiousity.

Indeed.  The clouds appear to be parting soon ....

Take care,