gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] pathname-name behavior change

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] pathname-name behavior change
Date: 01 Dec 2004 10:05:17 -0500

Greetings, and thanks Tim for isolating the issue.

Rest assured that we will support the old behavior in our CLtL1
build/mode, so that axiom can change to ansi if and when it wants.
This is the raison d'etre of this build, which I consider a valuable
GCL feature.  Much of the heavy lifting in the lisp world has been
done under CLtL1 or the like, and we need to be ready to catch these
gems as they might propagate into the open source world.

This said, what we really mean by our CLtL1 build is a small build as
close to the original GCL as practicable which doesn't break anyone's
existing code.  There may be some ansi features we implement in this
build which don't happen to break such code.  The development process
in general is move to ansi in as straight a line as possible, see what
breaks when done, and revert the mods as necessary in CLtL1.

This is much like gcc's support for K&R as well as ansi C, selected by
command line options.

I'll let you know when I pinpoint the location of modification and
commit a revert in the case of CLtL1.

BTW, axiom is already making use of this duality in its in-package
usage, which under ansi must trigger an error if the package does not
already exist.  We support the older behavior in CLtL1.

Take care,