gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] RE: [Axiom-developer] system::getenv does not return MSYS en

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Axiom-developer] system::getenv does not return MSYS environmentvariables
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:17:23 +1000

Hi Bill.

I suspect something is wrong at your end, I have no troubles reading either
MSYS or Windows environment variables (I believe the build would not work if
this were not the case):

(1) -> )lisp (si::getenv "HISTFILE")

Value = "C:/msys/1.0/home/miketh/.bash_history"
(1) -> )lisp (si::getenv "PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE")

Value = "x86"

The above example was running within an MSYS shell.

Is it possible you were expecting an Axiom system launched separately from
an MSYS shell to see the environment variables in a separate MSYS shell?

This won't work as manipulation by one process of it's own environment (Eg
an MSYS Bash shell setting the HISTFILE variable) does not affect the local
environment's of processes running separately from that first process (eg.
MS Word launched from the Windows start menu.)

Cheers

Mike Thomas.