gcl-devel

Re: +-Inf and NaN

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: +-Inf and NaN
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 08:31:41 -0500

Greetings!

Matt Kaufmann <kaufmann@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> Hi Camm,
>
> Since this thread has discussed floating-point exceptions, I'll weigh
> in only by requesting that such behavior will continue to be
> configurable.  Specifically, in ACL2 built using GCL 2.6.12
> (Version_2_6_13pre131), where compilation uses safety 0, then
> evaluation of the following form at start-up gives the behavior I want
> -- in particular, an error when there is floating-point overflow or
> division by zero.
>
> (fpe:break-on-floating-point-exceptions
>  :floating-point-overflow t
>  :floating-point-invalid-operation t)

Agreed, this behavior isn't going anywhere.  The basic question is what
the compiler should do with '= (or equivalent) when it knows its
arguments are the same object.  In proposal 1), (double)NaN remains of
type 'long-float, and the compiler will replace this call with t only at
safety 0 *and* some bound is known on the argument.  In proposal 2)
(double)NaN is of some type orthogonal to 'long-float, and the compiler
always replaces the call with t at safety 0.  The first is less radical
and almost surely will be the approach taken initially with 2.7.0,
though the latter is conceptually cleaner.  In proposal 2), there will
be a one line addition to the type checker skipping the error on NaN
when running interpreted or compiled with safety depending on the fpe
settings you show above.

One downside of proposal 2) is that '+ and the like return '(or number
new-type-for-nans)....

I'm so sorry to have taken up so much attention on this.  The whole
conversation arose due to one remaining testsuite failure in maxima when
compiled with 2.7.0, in which the code relies on '(/= a a) as a NaN
detector.  There are many simple ways around this without addressing the
question more generally as I have posed.

BTW, thanks for the NaN code in the various lisps attached!

Take care,