gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Gnome Commander Flatpak

From: Ken Taylor
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Gnome Commander Flatpak
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 17:00:01 +0000

I am not familiar with Flatpack other than in concept. I DO need to learn more
about it.  Being a flathead (or is that flat earth adherent :-) I decided to
see if I could build the latest Gnome Commander on Linux Mint MATE 21. Mint is
probably the distro I will be moving to in the future. I built a baseline
virtual machine in VMWare Workstation. I then added this pile of stuff which
was in the bash history on an Ubuntu 20 VM which I had used to build Gnome
Commander 1.14.0. It may contains some extraneous rubbish. I will try to pare
it down.

sudo apt-get install -y build-essential itstool gawk libxml2-utils
libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev

I downloaded and extracted the source for 1.14.3

.configure completed WITHOUT COMPLAINT !!! I gathered my fire extinguisher as I
am sure my computer will explode or burst into flames shortly.

make and sudo make install SEEMED to run without any smoke. The output scrolled
on the screen so fast I could not really tell. And then for the test...

gnome-commander <Enter>

nothing :-(

which gnome-commander

nothing :-((

I ran make and make install again, one at a time. I saved the output to a file.
Nothing really offensive seemed to pop up. I ran them both again just for good
measure and now Gnome Commander 1.14.3 runs!!! Hooray.

Thank you Uwe for all your hard work. I will keep practicing on this and see if
I can pare down the installed packages. I will also see if I can build a deb
package. I will tidy up my notes so they may be included on the web site if
that would be of value. Of course once the Flatpack is on the streets and ready
to download and install rather than build... But again this is the easiest
build of Gnome COmmander I have done in a LONG while.

Ken

I don't have a Swiss bank account but I DO have a Swiss email address :-)

Sent from ProtonMail, encrypted email based in Switzerland.