gene-discuss

[Gene-discuss] Trading Alert: HESG Signs on 5700 GNC Stores

From: SmallCap Investor
Subject: [Gene-discuss] Trading Alert: HESG Signs on 5700 GNC Stores
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:44:53 -0500

The growing nutraceutical industry has seen sales increase dramatically as America becomes more health conscious. Two major beneficiaries, Herbalife (HLF) recently completed a $172 million dollar IPO giving the company a market cap north of a billion dollars while Nature's Sunshine (NATR) is up over 100% in the past 52 weeks. We started to look deeper into the industry and discovered a small cap nutraceutical company that has us very excited.. If just one of the company's potential blockbuster products makes a big splash, we think this idea will be one of our better performers in 2005.

Today's Trading Alert is on Health Sciences Group (HESG.OB). Health Sciences Group identifies, develops and commercializes innovative nutritional products derived from natural sources to provide consumers and medical professionals with preventative healthcare alternatives.

"No I am not talking about the next rapper to go platinum, I am not asking you to give me a little peck on the cheek and I am most certainly not asking you for the great white waistline and people killer, sugar.

What I am talking about is the newest player in the sweetener world, Shugr.

By the reviews Shugr may possibly be that white knight (pun intended) everyone is waiting for to save the obese of the world. Let's face it. Most Americans eat more than their fair share of sweets and diabetes is becoming an American epidemic. We have become an addicted nation. We crave sugar. It's not our fault, however, sugar is designed that way. It wasn't a conspiracy on the part of food manufacturers to make America fat. It just happened that cause equals effect.

Erythritol, Tagatose and Polydextrose are the main players (ingredients) in Shugr. They are beneficial to the body in many ways. First, Erythritol exists in low levels in fruits and fermented foods such as soy sauce. It cannot be broken down by mouth bacteria’s, therefore, it cannot contribute to tooth decay. Tagatose, is naturally occurring and can be found in dairy products. Sorry Vegans, maybe this sweetener isn't for you. However, for the rest of us, this is how Tagatose is beneficial to us: it will not bother you if you are lactose intolerant, has the same bulkiness as sugar or fructose, however is not metabolized the same as them. It is metabolized incompletely thereby rendering it safe for diabetics. It does not cause high sugar spikes in the body as other sugars do. A real benefit is that it creates those great little pieces of bacteria, butyrate and lactic acid, bacteria that are good for your digestive tract. Those same bacteria usually found in yogurt! Polydextrose is found in Sorbital. Sorbital is a naturally occurring sweetener found in many fruits and is slowly absorbed into the bloodstream. It also carries a prebiotic that has been shown to help create bacteria’s beneficial to the lower intestine".
*Excepts quoted from Blog on Food Chronicles.

The company announced in late April that The Vitamin Shoppe® will start selling its Swiss Diet® Shugr(TM) products in all of their retail stores nationwide. With more than 250 locations across the country, and new stores opening virtually every week, The Vitamin Shoppe is the nation's fastest growing retailer of quality diet and weight loss products, vitamins and nutritional supplements, and thousands of other products for health-conscious consumers.

GNC TO SELL SHUGR
Los Angeles, CA (July 20, 2005) Health Sciences Group, Inc. (OTCBB: HESG), provider of innovative nutritional products and functional food ingredients derived from natural sources, announced today that General Nutrition Centers (GNC) will soon begin selling its Swiss Diet® ShugrTM products. With more than 5,700 doors worldwide, GNC is the nations largest specialty retailer of nutritional supplements.

"We are delighted to have GNC offer Shugr in their retail stores and online," said Fred E. Tannous, Co-Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Health Sciences Group, Inc. "With over 65 years experience, and more than 5,000 stores in 21 countries, GNC is the nations largest and most recognized specialty retailer of nutritional supplements. We believe Shugr will become the leading non-calorie sweetener for many health-conscious consumers and GNC represents the ideal venue for distributing our revolutionary product."

"GNC customers rely on us for an incredible assortment and exceptional value," stated Joe Weiss, vice president of diet and energy at GNC. "We are excited to add Shugr to our product selection for those consumers who are looking for an alternative to the current group of available sweeteners."

Were excited about establishing a very successful relationship with GNC, said Loren Miles, founder of Swiss Research, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Health Sciences Group. GNCs customers are weight and diet-conscious, but most of all, they are health-conscious. Shugr is the perfect sweetener for people who care about their health, weight, and their teeth, as well as the taste of their food. Shugr is the first natural, zero-calorie sweetener that tastes like sugar, feels like sugar in the mouth, and cooks and bakes like sugar. But unlike cane sugar, it has no calories, its tooth-friendly, meaning it wont cause tooth decay, and its diabetic-safe.

Shugr is the world's first natural, zero-calorie sweetener made from sugars that occur naturally in such good-tasting, healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, corn and dairy products. Erythritol is a naturally-occurring sugar commonly found in melon, grapes, mushrooms and soy. Tagatose comes from dairy products, but does not affect people who are lactose intolerant. Tagatose also provides an added health benefit -- prebiotic fiber that promotes intestinal health, much the way yogurt does. Maltodextrin is derived from corn sugar, which is non-GMO and gluten-free. A trace amount of sucralose is added to give Shugr its high note. All of these ingredients carry a GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) designation for food safety from the US Food & Drug Administration.

GNC will be the largest chain store to carry Shugr and we couldn't be more excited," commented Bill Glaser, Co-Chairman and President of Health Sciences Group. "In addition to GNC, many other retail outlets have begun to sell Shugr, and we are rapidly expanding retail distribution of Shugr in the coming months. We also plan to soon launch our direct to consumer television and radio infomercial campaign for Sequestrol our natural, clinically-tested, cholesterol supplement.

Shares of Health Sciences closed yesterday at $.87per share which is above the company's 50 day moving average of $0.84. The initial level of resistance will be the 200 day moving average at the $0.93-$0.95 level but once the stock passes that point we see the stock reaching the $1.50 level. We would buy up to $1.15 and keep a tight stop/loss of $.80.