gene-discuss

[Gene-discuss] indignantly

From: Steve Rutherford
Subject: [Gene-discuss] indignantly
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 02:46:27 +0300

It should just let you in. I feel an addiction coming up.
Theora is very closeto what we need at this point; as soon as the bitstream specification isfixed, all videos created with that version of Theora will be playable byfuture versions of the library.
Releasing was so much less painful than before. It should just let you in. This step makes sure that your session is run under ssh-agent. Now I need to figure out how to add them to thetestsuite properly. Onlyin some random cases this fails and throws an error.
AFAICT from discussing with people it seems there is nodecent way of building kernel modules against a read-only kernel-source tree. But this might not be what we want. We're moving in our new office this week, and our new collague is arrivingnext week. I added some error handlingfor these cases. I must avoid catching hadessitis. Apparently keychain is a daemon whichallows you to authenticate only once per bootup, not once per session.
Left me thinking about a lot ofthings. This was even more surprising. There's always afear of turning over to the dark side without realizing, but being ableto start a company with these goals is exciting, and I hope we do well.
Basically our plugin issomehow failing to cope with a resynchronisation after a seek. I wasn't ableto reproduce it since, but I'm sure if anyone encounters it they'll at leastget a nice error dialog.
After some thinking, I figured out thatthis was because the hostap package didn't include a hostap.
Invited some friends over,experimented with roasting peppers to great success, and had a great dayout on the terrace.
The log seemed to indicate that it wasn't ableto play back any sample rate, and from that point on everything failed.
I'm not sure it works well yet, but it looks sweet for sure, and it seems pretty responsive.
As a result, each seek, even inaudio files, triggers a whole bunch of resynchronisation in a row as it'smisreading header information and changing the sample rate quickly. The first one was that after my return fromholidays, GstPlay wasn't able to play back anything anymore.
We're only taking up a quarter of the space right now. Ididn't like what I saw from the code though. I saw them live once and really liked them, but neverfound a CD in a store. This alsoallowed me to try and put in a patch I had received for the thumbnailer butfor which I didn't have time or inclination to push it in before going onholidays.
Some people asked me to let them know if Ifigured out the right set of things to do, so here it is. It looks likethe mad library handles the resync correctly, but we probably mess upemptying the internal buffer somewhere. Left me thinking about a lot ofthings.
But this might not be what we want. Five moreminutes gave me a set of packages for it.
Now I need to figure out how to add them to thetestsuite properly. In a nutshell, we're going to write a free software streaming media server,on top of GStreamer, making it possible to do completely free software-basedvideo streaming, using royalty-free codecs.
That willprobably make it harder to do mass builds of kernel modules as well. It lasted all through the day. This was even more surprising.