gforth

Re: [gforth] getting source code into android gforth app

From: Joel Rees
Subject: Re: [gforth] getting source code into android gforth app
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 12:07:17 +0900

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Bernd Paysan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 24. April 2015, 17:43:33 schrieb Joel Rees:
>> Can't figure out how to paste in the gforth android app, nor how to give it
>> a command-line argument like a file to read from.
>
> PASTE reads the clipboard and inserts it into the keyboard input.

And what good does ...

Oh. Cool. Typing "PASTE" on the keyboard isn't quite as convenient as
ctrl-V, but it gets the job done. ;-)

> There are
> keyboards with a PASTE key, I'll try to figure out what kind of event I'll get
> for those, to trigger PASTE on them.

So I'm not the only one who hasn't been able to break out enough time
to hack sufficiently on the android sdk. :-/

> Since Android apps aren't command line tools, you have to load files with
>
> include file.fs

I hadn't been able to get that to work, but I think that I hadn't
tried it since I found the sh command in the manual so I could see
what the working directory path was. Or something.

Trying it now, it works.

Relative paths, too. ../site-forth/touch-sokoban.fs loads and plays
okay. (Now how does one stop it? Guess I should read the source code
before I load it? Oh. "q". That was obvious. Am I getting too old to
hack?)

>> Executing sh "ls" shows nothing, even though sh "pwd" shows the working
>> directory to be /mnt/sdcard/gforth/home, and I can see files I've copied
>> into that directory using a file manager app.
>>
>> What is the obvious thing I am missing?
>
> The files that are in gforth/home are all starting with a dot.  So you need

dot files? Missed them. Using the terminal-ide app, I see the .gforth
directory and the .gforth-history file. I don't know what to do with
those yet, I guess.

> sh ls -a
>
> to see them.

    sh "ls -la"

also gives no response. Nor does a whereis query. Neither does xlerb. Let's see.

    s" ls -la" system

gives a nice directory listing of the gforth home directory. (Didn't I
try that before?)

Okay, this will make it so I can study the gforth manual on the train.

--
Joel Rees

Why can't Google be at least as good as Ubuntu
and set up a true Android distro,
and bring the vendor sources in
so we aren't dependent on irresponsible
and unresponsive vendors?