gforth

Re: [gforth] whatever happened with Forth

From: Anton Ertl
Subject: Re: [gforth] whatever happened with Forth
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 16:29:38 +0200

On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 09:10:44AM -0400, J. David Boyd wrote:
> Anton Ertl
> <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It also does not help that many in the Forth community revel in the
> > past glory of small programs on small systems, and reject features
> > that are useful for larger programs.
> >
> > - anton
>
> Such as what, if you don't mind expounding a little bit?

Anything to do with libraries.  A typical reaction is to cite
something by Chuck Moore, and/or a claim that it is just as easy to
write code for the problem from scratch, and the result is a better
fit for the problem at hand, than to use a third-party library, where
you have to find out how to call it and then work around the bugs etc.
There is a grain of truth to the argument, but OTOH, the rest of the
world has managed to do great things with libraries.

> I'd like to use
> Forth for some medium sized database based programming I have to do, and
> wonder what would be the easiest/best way to do that....

I have no general recommendations on that, sorry.

- anton