gforth

Re: Cross compiling

From: Josh Grams
Subject: Re: Cross compiling
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 14:40:55 -0500

On 2021-03-01 07:32PM, Ethan Gardener wrote:
>jonesforth.f is shorter than jonesforth.S, but so much of both files are
>comments, it's hard to compare the code sizes.

But they're not the same thing, are they? They're two parts of the same system.
jonesforth.S is the core engine that is written in asm, jonesforth.f is the
rest of the system that builds on top and is written in Forth.

>I imagine JonesForth's double-indirect threading would be good for 8-bit
>systems.

Did he ever get his terminology straight? That was always my main beef with
JonesForth: he didn't understand what direct/indirect threading actually
referred to. I tried to help straighten things out (as did, I think, a couple
of the long-time comp.lang.forth regulars) but he was sure that he knew better
than anyone else.

--Josh