gforth

Re: version 0.7.9_20220721 does not compile

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: version 0.7.9_20220721 does not compile
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 23:53:19 +0200

On Thu 28 Jul 2022 at 12:47, Bernd Paysan <bernd@net2o.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2022, 23:49:24 CEST schrieb Tomas Hlavaty:
>> make: *** [Makefile:1469: doc/extradoc.fd] Error 254
> Since mkdir-parents fails, check if your build process has permissions to
> create these directories, and no stale leftovers from the last sudo make
> install are in the way.

nixos builds run in a fresh sandbox.
There are no leftovers.
It does not run as root but as for example nixbld1 user.
The build directory in the sandbox looks like /build/gforth/

I tracked this down to the first broken commit:
be2bdf4b Generate documentation for things outside the image
and the fix was
sed -i Makefile.in -e 's|doc/extradoc.fd doc/minosdoc.fd||g'

After that, there was a second issue in
af37b9e7 Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/gforth
where all executables were compiled except the default gforth.
I do not know why.

However, the latest tag
0.7.9_20220728
does not have the second issue anymore.
I still need to patch the Makefile.in
sed -i Makefile.in -e 's|@NO_CROSS@doc/extradoc.fd @minosdoc@||g'
in order to fix the build.

I guess that creating the extra and minos doc tries to create some
directories in the wrong place and the nixos build sandbox catches that.
If you build it as root under debian, you probably do not notice that
because the root can create whatever directories it wants.

So there is a new issue with creating the extra and minos doc
but I do not know what the real reason is.
Unfortunatelly, the error message show the failing words
but not the arguments, i.e. the path mkdir-parents is trying
to create.

Does this description help?
Maybe you have better idea, what is it doing wrong?