gforth

Gforth BLOCK 0

From: shtps
Subject: Gforth BLOCK 0
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2022 11:17:47 +0000

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Forth and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or
if this is intended behavior or if this is a bug. I'm using gforth on GNU/Linux.

Executing the following gives me an error message and creates an empty 0 byte
file called blocks.fb:

s" Hello world!" 0 block place update save-buffers bye

I have attached the backtrace but it doesn't seem very helpful, all it says is
invalid memory address. So I then delete the file blocks.fb and try again, but
this time with block 1 instead:

s" Hello world!" 1 block place update save-buffers bye

and it successfully writes into the block and we can verify that it did indeed
write into it by starting gforth again and executing:

1 block count type Hello world! ok

So maybe block 0 will work now? I try to write into it again:

s" weird..." 0 block place update save-buffers bye

No errors this time, but when I start gforth again and try to read from it I
don't get the expected output:

0 block count type ok

So I looked at the blocks.fb file in a text editor and "weird..." was written
into it correctly and after a while I've figured that the following works after
starting gforth again:

1 block drop 0 block count type weird... ok

To me this seems like a bug where "0 block" doesn't initialize something that
"1 block" does. Either that or I'm using blocks the wrong way. Unfortunately I
could not find any simple examples on how to use blocks so I'm just going off
the docs and a few scraps of information on the internet that I could find.

Best Regards,
shtps