glob2-announce

[glob2-announce] glob2 mercurial repository changes: 1.change of the def

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: [glob2-announce] glob2 mercurial repository changes: 1.change of the default branch name, 2.inclusion of data files in the repository
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 01:10:17 +0100

This mail is all about our mercurial repository.
If you don't compile globulation2 yourself, you don't need to read this mail!

We have made two important changes in our repository:

1. Change of the default branch name in the glob2 mercurial repository

We changed the name of our default branch from "master" to "default"
For each mercurial command where you previously had to add the
parameter "- r master" you now should add the parameter "-r default" instead.

The usual steps to get a new revision in your existing repository
would look like:
#    hg pull -r default http://hg.globulation2.org/glob2
#    hg update -C tip

The wiki documentation about the way we handle mercurial is up to date:
http://www.globulation2.org/wiki/Mercurial
Same is true for the download and install section:
http://www.globulation2.org/wiki/Download_and_Install
And the file "README.hg" in the repository itself.

2. Inclusion of maps and data files in the repository

The glob2 maps and data files are now part of the mercurial repository.
This means that you don't have to use "./syncmaps" and "./syncdata" anymore.
On the downside of this change: the initial "hg clone" will take longer and the
repository will use more space on the harddisk.

The next time you use "hg update -C tip" you probably will be told that
the permission for the file ".../data/zik/a1.ogg" is denied.
You will have to choose among three ways to resolve this:
 a) clone a new repository and remove the old one.
 b) change the file masks of the files in that directory with a command like:
     "chmod u+w data/zik/*"
 c) remove the files in the "data/zik" directory

This change currently is true only for our "default" branch.
The other active branches shall merge these change in the near future.

We hope that these changes will in the long run improve the
user-friendliness of our source distribution.
If any Problem arises, you can ask questions on our forums or file a
bug on our bug-tracker.
--
Kai Antweiler