[glob2-devel] bugs and features

From: Gabriel Walt
Subject: [glob2-devel] bugs and features
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:43:45 +0200

Hello,

I played quite a lot today, and here are a few beta test comments [keep in mind that I don't have the latest cvs but win32 alpha6]. If anyone doesn't agree with one of the suggestions or have a better idea, please tell it.

First the bugs:
- As already said, the game crashed once on loading a saved game.
- Some globules are sometimes trapped inside forbidden areas, this happened when I wanted to build new buildings. - When wanting to build new buildings, the second area [space needed for future updates] is sometimes not drawn. Nct, note that I didn't use the GL acceleration but the bug appeared anyway! - When placing a building completely in the black [not yet discovered ground] but just at the limit, the building doesn't get constructed, but a forbidden area appears without reason. - And now a probably very windows specific bug: the settings are not saved. For instance I have to set fullscreen on again each time I start glob2.

Feature requests:
- The game menu appears when hitting ESC, but when hitting ESC again it should disappear again, instead of having to click on "return to game". By the way, I suggest that wherever you are in the game menu [for instance in the "alliances" or "options" sub-menu], when you hit ESC it returns to the game. - In the game menu, I would place the alliance option first since it's probably the most used while playing. A more logical ordering would be: alliance, options, [space], load, save, [space], end the game, quit glob2, [space], return to game. Note also the "quit glob2" option that could be appreciable. - The alliance menu is not clear enough, there should somewhere be a hint of what the different steps mean. - While playing the "Settings" screen isn't accessible, only the music volume is available in an "Options" screen. Thus it's not possible to switch fullscreen/windowed mode while playing, this could be very appreciable. For tuning the display speed, the other display settings could also be useful to be available in the game menu.
- There should also be a tooltips for the forbidden area drawing mode.
- I find the middle mouse button scrolling too fast, could it be possible to make that the mouse has to move at least 2 pixels for moving the screen of one tile [this means two time slower scrolling]. - The units could have a DIE button, as the buildings have a destroy button. Probably easy to implement, but what do you think about the few gameplay implications? This could solve overpopulation situations and shorten the suffering of blocked units... ;)

And a little discussion about the flags and area drawing:
- Flags:
  - can be moved and scaled
  - can have a number of units assigned
  - can have options [what units are concerned]
- Areas:
  - can have any size and shape
  - are global so no units or unit options can be assigned

You chose to set flags for exploration, attack and clearing - and areas for forbidden areas. This is logic, but two things stay frustrating:
- it would be really cool to be able draw clearing areas too
- it could be useful to tell what units are forbidden from different areas [e.g. only workers]

Here is my suggestion for a better area mode:
- There are two kind of areas: clearing [green hatching] and forbidden [red hatching].
- There are two tools: draw and erase with different brushes.
- When you draw an area where no adjacent area already exists, it creates a new area. When you draw an area and begin drawing above or just aside [your brush "touches" the area] an existing area you enlarge the existing area. - It would not be possible to have several areas layered [even clearing and forbidden areas cannot be layered, they are exclusive], so if you pull your brush above an existing area, the existing area is cleared and replaced by the one you're drawing. - When erasing, every area under your brush is erased, there's no consideration next to what area you have begun erasing. - There must be a trick to select an area differently from the buildings lying beneath, I suggest shift-right click selects areas as a normal right click selects a building. - Once an area is selected, you can assign workers to it if it's a clearing area, or assign unit kinds [worker, warrior, explorer] if it's a forbidden area. There must also be the delete button that deletes all the area at once.

When you build a building there's a little conflict: a new forbidden area should be drawn by the program to make units leave, but you have possibly already drawn an area at that place [clearing or forbidden]. I suggest that the program adds anyway the new area at the needed place, thus erases a piece of the existing area. I can't imagine a situation where this would be really problematic.

So what do you think about this system?

Furthermore, I've two more suggestions for areas:
- In globulation everything is "round", I'd suggest you to make only round drawing brushes. The square ones are not useful at all in my opinion. - When a building upgrades and needs space, there should also be a forbidden area at the needed space.

Pfffiw... that's it! Next step will be to play more against human players to make gameplay tuning suggestions. Anyway, thanks for having read until here! :)

Gabriel