Re: [glob2-devel] Ideas for post 1.0 version

From: Gabriel Walt
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Ideas for post 1.0 version
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:57:18 +0200

For each affiliation there is some spell. The more powerfull the spell is, the more mana it takes. The idea is to have speels that alter the map to use this capability of the engine.
Here is a quick list of possible spells
* Irigation - regenerate ressources faster (water, simple)
* Waterfall - water attack (water, medium)
* Waterforming - create water (water, ultimate)
* Algaforming - create seeweed in water (nature, medium)
* Bug - destroy fruits (nature, medium)
* Grassforming - create grass (nature, ultimate)
* Digger - remove stones (rock, medium)
* Armagedon - massive astral bombing (rock, ultimate)
* KissOfDesert - create desert (rock, ultimate)
* ...

I agree with Joey, these spells really sound like the ones that could be found in warcraft or so. It doesn't fit into the strange universe of globulation, it sounds almost like standard roleplay spells.

By the way, for me, this is also a problem with the level 2 and 3 graphics, they look very human and like what could be found in standard games. What would a globule want to do with so human buildings? Of course there must be hints for the function of a building, but globules have no idea of gothic or whatever architecture! ;) I like a lot the level 1 buildings made of earth, excepted the "barracks" that I took a while before understanding the perspective. But I do by no mean signify that I dislike the level 2 and 3 buildings, most of them look very cool, but I think that they don't fit into the globule universe.

Globally I think that we have to be very careful about not breaking the delicate universe of the globules, we have to try to stick better to the original ideas that were very innovative and subtle. We must try to find again this subtle innocence and big coherence of the beginning. If you implement the ideas you were talking about, please think about a better integration of them into the globulation universe.

Now for more "technical" considerations, I'm not sure that being able to modify the map, and accelerating the speed of growth of resources is interesting for the gameplay. There are already a lot of things that makes it hard to create strategic maps, mostly because of the wrap-around that eliminates the strategic position of map corners, and of the growing/collecting of resources that can completely change the impact of a place for a game.

This has been highly improved with the fruit trees that, when well placed by the map designer, can really create strategic points that must be controlled. Your idea also introduces such points that are strategic to control. But the problem of your idea is that it allows to remove stones, enhance speed of growth of standard resources, lower the speed of growth of trees, and control the shapes of the map... These are 4 strategic elements that you make less strong! So in my opinion your idea makes the game less strategic, or at least doesn't make it better, only more complicated.

But perhaps I'm wrong, it'd be cool to hear also what other people think about the gameplay implications of your idea. Because of the crashes of the windows version I only could play very short network games and am not very used about advanced strategies of human vs human.

Gabriel