Re: [glob2-devel] hosting

From: Gabriel Walt
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] hosting
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:39:38 +0200

I think we can use a free service, as we only depend on php for the moment, which is not hard to find.

* we *need*:
  - linux [ms iis is bad]
  - apache [best choice with linux :)]
  - php [cms, phpbb, etc]
  - mysql [cms, phpbb, etc]
  - perl [twiki]
  - ftp

* we don't necessarily need:
  - virtual server with root access
  - command line login [ssh]
  - sub domain names [glob2.ysagoon.com]
  - email addresses [we have our own server for that]

putting heavy binary files on savannah is a possibility, but that's more maintenance work. because all stuff is then splitted between two servers. the administration and backup interface of the cms will for example not be able to manage the files that are on savannah, since you must put them manually on savannah, with another web interface.

i like very much the idea of putting the binary files on savannah, but i don't really know how to easily make a get/put files automatically there, without using their web interface. does anybody know if this could be automated??

by the way, thank you moa for the hosting wiki page, i've updated it:
http://www.ysagoon.com/twiki/bin/view/Glob2/HostingSolution

currently, I like very much nct's suggestion about icculus.org, it seems very cool to me (i'll try to contact them to see if our project matches their conditions, and to have more precisions). the other alternative i like is a swiss hosting called infomaniak.ch (more details on the wiki).

gabriel