Re: [glob2-devel] Coding conventions

From: Stephane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Coding conventions
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:58:20 +0200

Hi,

> Another convention you should mention - the one I fell foul of - is that
> CVS branches are fine (and encouraged for major changes?), but should
> relate to some specific feature, and should be named after that feature
> (e.g. "using_libToto" instead of "TotosStuff".

Agreed.

> Some others I'd like to see added are:
> * typedefs that specify a low-level physical layout are written like
>   "Uint8".  The layout must be spelled out in the name - for example,
>   "Uint8" is an unsigned integer 8 bits long, Sfloat16 is a signed
>   floating point number 16 bits long.

Well, all usefull typedef are already done by SDL. They are the U/Sint8/16/32.

> * typedefs and enums that specify a high-level logical idea are written
>   like "toto_friendliness_t".  This is the way C does it, and adding the
>   "_t" on the end makes emacs realise it's a type.

I do not agree. Typedef are aliases for class and should follow class naming
conventions. Enums are constants and should follow constant and define
conventions (ALL_CAPITALS_WITH_UNDERSCORE).

> * where there is a clash between a function name and a variable name
>   (i.e. you have a private variable "toto", accessible through
>   a public function toto()), the variable should have "_v"
>   appended to it.  Note that this is only allowed when the function is
>   a public wrapper around a private variable in a class.

Agreed.

> * constants are named like variables, except they have "_c" appended to
>   them if they're shadowed by a function name.

I disagree, same remarks as 2 step higher.

Now, if everyone want to change the conventions, it is possible. But glob2 is
more than 60'000 lines of code and I think it is better to keep the ones we
already have.

Sorry if I'm cold, I'm a bit in a hurry now,

Have a nice day,