Re: [glob2-devel] Redesigning War Flags

From: Eli
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Redesigning War Flags
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:56:21 -0400

On Sep 11, 2005, at 12:17 PM, Andrew Sayers wrote:

I think it's too early to be looking at the "ultimate perfect war flag".
Advancing one aspect of the game like this far ahead of the others only
leads to problems in the long-term.

For example, we've discussed on IRC about turning guard areas into idle
areas, where any glob can go when it has nothing to do.  I've also
suggested (and again, it's too early to be doing this) having some way
of automatically defining town boundaries and having globs patrol them.
I'd also like to see the alliance system beefed up so that globs are
will chase one team's attack once it's been routed, but leave another
team to its own devices.  I also suggested a long time ago the idea of
"danger gradients".  If that can be made to work, it would give us many
more possibilities for game development.

The other problem with this idea is that it means war flags work in a
radically different way to other types of flag.  Besides being hard to
implement, this means players have to spend longer learning how the game
works.

        - Andrew

All points are correct. In that case, the simplest way is probably best: A war flag works like a clearing flag.