[glob2-devel] Version numbers

From: Andrew Sayers
Subject: [glob2-devel] Version numbers
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:12:37 +0000

We're thinking on IRC about version numbers and roadmaps for upcoming
releases.  The ideas are still a bit sketchy, but this is what we're
thinking at the moment:

The 0.8.16 release that's currently making its way towards completion
should become the basis for a 1.0 release.  We should fix up the code so
that it's in a state that is fun to play, but not commit any more major
work to it.  Importantly, this means that the 1.0 codebase will not be
something that newcomers will find easy to get to grips with and start
hacking on.  Goals for the 1.0 release include:

* A longer tutorial, which preferably leads naturally into a longer
  campaign.
* Lots of bug-hunting, especially to make sure that network games work
  correctly.

The map-rewrite branch (currently deep in CVS) should become the basis
for the 1.1 branch of the code.  It's important we skip at least a minor
version number here, as the map rewrite will naturally break
compatibility with the old map file format.  The goals for this release
will be the same as for the map rewrite: to make a start on a codebase
that is ready for bazaar mode.  Personally, I would like to make it a
rule that any new code going into the 1.1 release must compile without
any errors or warnings, must be completely documented, must have a
complete test suite, and the test suite mustn't leak any memory (as
detected by valgrind)

        - Andrew