Re: [glob2-devel] New AI System

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New AI System
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:39:01 -0700

On 6/28/06, Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> wrote:
Interesting :-)

There is still the problem of serialisation and synchronisation. The first can
probably be solved by forcing script writer to add some load/save specific
code and the later could be solved by running the AI on a single computer as
a separate player. There is still a lot of problems nevertheless, such as on
which computer to execute the AI script on reload, etc..

Steph

I did mention serialization in the article, saying ai providers must
provide their own load and save functions. I don't see synchro being a
problem, we can go with are existing plan and just have all the
computers run the script. This system is designed in such a way that i
doubt that could cause issue (its simple routine behaviours are run by
an equally simple script, both parts are simple enough to go from any
AI).

On the other hand, running the AI's on one computer has its notable
advantages, it would bring to an end an AI related desyncs. However,
its involves a much larger volume of changes, really not worth it in
the short run.