Re: [glob2-devel] money for volunteers for net-rewrite?

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] money for volunteers for net-rewrite?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 12:54:32 +0100

> as the project is short of programmers i thought maybe a financial
> contribution could help. or raise funds via the web site. i would pay if i
> knew that would have a possitive effect on develping speed in the mentioned
> direction.

I think we would need a legal body to hold the money.

> what do you think? can we define tasks that people should be able to donate
> for? who will get the money? i want cooperative development and not "the best
> solution gets the checkpot", but how can contribution be messured among those
> who finally provide a solution?

More money, more problems ...

> on the other hand if financial contributions rolled, i could imagine giving
> up my job and work on glob2 as my main occupation as i really believe in
> glob2's potential.

How do you want to get enough money?

 (Mockery Warning:)

Putting banners on our homepage?
Playing audio advertising during glob2 games instead of music?
Finding a reseller for Glob2 Deluxe?
Tournament fee?
Product placement?
Selling glob2 action figures?
Glob2 the Movie?
Glob2World the Amusement Park?

I don't think that you will get enough money for just one secure employment.
Sorry.

If you want money, it does not matter how much you believe in glob2's
potential - only that a lot of consumers believe in the game.
(I really would like to know how many users we have.)

On the other hand using banners we might get enough money to give away
a shirt as first prize in competitions/tournaments.

ps: feel free to prove me wrong.
the reseller thing might actually work for a short time, I don't know.