Re: [glob2-devel] Goals for the next release

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Goals for the next release
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 22:08:06 +0200

On 3/30/07, Bradley Arsenault <address@hidden> wrote:
On 3/29/07, Kai Antweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I'm strongly against using a lisp-based language for scripting, it amuses
> > geeks but is a nightmare for the rest of the world. Squirrel would be ok.
>
> I just wanted to write how much I like scheme, that it is easy to learn
> in half an hour, but that non-mathematicans are shocked by its style and
> back away.
>
> So same advice from me.  Better use a language that is (or is not) more
> complicated, but that users feel more comfortable with.
>
> I would suggest something like python or ruby, since they are popular.
> Is it feasible to restrict python to a dumb, secure compaign-script
> interpreter?
>
> I would like this, because I'm thinking about allowing python for
> normal glob2 code as well.  I think boost has methods for python-c++
> interfaces.
>
> I prefer c++, but many (especially young) people only know python.
> So improving glob2 might be as easy as allowing them to use the
> language they know.
>
> Is python a hype, or is it going to stay popular?
>

> I mentioned ruby, because I've heard it's very popular in japan.
> And I have the impression that we get no support from east asia.
> Are they using different linux distributions?  or different online
> journals / wikis?
> Or do I have just a wrong impression?
>
> --
> Kai Antweiler

Python is definitely my first choice as well in terms of usability.
Python is very easy to learn and ideas can be expressed in it in many
ways familiar to many people.

Python has a couple of major failings, however. First and foremost,
pythons security module (one that could allow us to keep users from
opening files) was deprecated a year or two ago. I have heard of
methods to limit script execution in python but I haven't heard much,
and I don't want glob2 to have a big "vulnerable" label on its
forehead. I'm sure there are ways to be secure with python.

Python is also rather difficult to embed. Again, I could figure
something out, probably using Boost.Python. Map scripts are
particularly easy since they don't really need to access glob2
functions other than a few statistics retrieving functions, meaning
its more a matter of embedding the interpreter.

I also think the we can offer a nice interface by exporting simple
functions into python and wrapping everything in python code. But I'm
afraid that exporting c++ classes into python will put pointers to c++
objects inside python objects, which would break the ability to save
and restore the state of execution of the script.

Martin