[glob2-devel] Important fact about SCP for files going to Savannah

From: Kieran P
Subject: [glob2-devel] Important fact about SCP for files going to Savannah
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:18:24 +1200

As you might know, we are using Savannah now to host files, CVS, bugs, and mailing lists. The only thing not there is the wiki (documentation).

There is one important thing you must do if you are uploading files to the server via SCP (once you put you GPG key and such).

Files uploaded are for you user only. Which means the uploads have the wrong permissions meaning no one but the uploader can rename, edit, remove or anything :( This is very bad. Everyone should be able to use this server. So....

Always run

chmod 2777 file/folder/gpgsig

after you upload (2777 being everyone has access to read, write, and execute)

eg:

smkdir 0.8.21
scp glob2-0.8.21_win32.zip
scp glob2-0.8.21_win32.zip.sig
chmod 2777 0.8.21
chmod 2777 0.8.21/glob2-0.8.21_win32.zip
chmod 2777 0.8.21/
glob2-0.8.21_win32.zip.sig

Should fix it. Then whenever you run

scp [info]

or similar, add

chmod 2777 folder/file just copied over

This will fix it.

On a side note, I got WinSCP working (well, actually its SFTP, which works the same and better). Anyway, its working on Windows and I'll be putting instructions on the wiki. And I put all 0.8.15 stuff in a folder. http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/glob2/. So all those with windows computers handy can benefit from it. I'll be experimenting with a linux based one soon enough too ;) The WinSCP tutorial I'll make which handled permissions automatically, so you dont have to run the command above everytime, so it might be worth using ;) Its also a lot easier (drag and drop)).

Thanks for reading.
--
Kieran.P
http://qlwiki.linuxsolutions.co.nz/