[glob2-devel] more things about mercurial

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: [glob2-devel] more things about mercurial
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 23:59:13 +0200

Hi *,

Hg has some useful extentions:
hgk: enables "hg view", a graphical representation of our repository
hbisect: enables "hg hbisect" a binary search bug-introducing-revision finder
win32text: automates unix2dos and dos2unix (line ending conversions)

These extentions are bundled with hg, so you already have them installed
when mercurial is running.
Descriptions of them can be found here:
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/UsingExtensions

To activate them you have put an extentions section into your .hgrc.
.hgrc:
 [ui]
 username = snth
 merge = xemacs-merge.sh
 ignore = /home/snth/.hgignore

 [extensions]
 hgk=
 hgext.hbisect=

You'll also notice the "merge =" line.  Mercurial lets you choose a manual merge
backend that will be called when automatic merging fails.  It is important that
you choose one.

You'll also notice the .hgignore file.  It could look somewhat like this:
.hgignore:
 # use glob syntax.
 syntax: glob

 *~
 *.o
 *.orig

As I said somewhere before.  Best is to use 3 repositories:
1. One to pull the remote repository.
  Then you will have all updates locally.  If you mess something, you
don't have
   to pull the remoterepository again.
2. One to work in.
3. One where you can merge your changes, before pushing it into the remote
  repository without ruining your work repository.  That is: pull
your work into it.
  Then pull the remote repository into it to get latest changes.  And merge if
  necessary.  Finally push to the remote repository.

hg can track file renaming.
When you want to move a file tell mercurial: "hg mv <oldname> <newname>"

Best hg command is : "hg help" or "hg help <command>".

ps: please read at least the tutorial and the quickstart.