Re: [glob2-devel] Re: CIA source monitor

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Re: CIA source monitor
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:21:57 +0200

A while ago, the idea of setting up CIA (http://cia.vc/) to monitor our
Mercurial setup came up, and it was agreed, once things are working
properly, it would be.

Well, it seems to be working. People know how to use it now.

I've tracked the latest mercurial monitor script to:

http://hg.kublai.com/mercurial/hgcia/file/c1f33ae509ea/hgcia.py

 Follow the instructions in the file and it should be working within 24-48
hours hopefully.

This will defiantly help increase our publicity if we can maintain about 12
commits a day (according to the current page I'm looking at, we need that
many to stay on the top commits # list). I know its drastic, but instead of
bunching a whole lot together, commit every little thing you do! It wont
hurt anyone! :P

And in the process, we might get a few good developers to help out !

Every little bit helps.

What do you think?

I don't believe, that we would get any additional intention this way:

How many people look at cia?
How many of those click at the lower links in the top list?
How many of those are looking forward to contribute to a new project?
How many of those choose glob2?

But we would decrease the structure of our repository, make it larger,
less readable,
slower to download/use.
Also it would not be good practice to trick cia.

I generally appreciate glob2 advertisement and endeavors to increase
our workforce,
but this time I don't.
To not be misunderstood:
I consent to using cia, but I don't want to have this influencing our
repository structure.

Keep in mind that mercurial does not have locking.
It does not matter how many commits you do during one second.  Only
one will get into
the repository - all other changes will not be included.
Generally this is no problems, but depending on how you try to
(mis)use mercurial this
might cause confusion.