[glob2-devel] Re: Fwd: your game in the messenger (development question)

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: [glob2-devel] Re: Fwd: your game in the messenger (development question)
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:13:12 +0100

Hi Michael,

thank you for your invitation to help integrate glob2 into your instant messaging software RetroShare.

Like others on your forum (http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=618174) i guess something like this should be done via a plugin. Nevertheless I personally am interested in seeing glob2 beeing integrated in all IMs in the world :)

What would you need from us? How does the interface look like?
something like the following will be easy to implement:
host  : issues "glob2 --host"
client: issues "glob2 --client --hostIP=..."
clients/server start a LAN-game with the given IP.

We make glob2 behave the right way if started as above.
You provide a plugin that checks the output of "glob2 --version" before and instructs the user on how to get the latest version if they differ. (Games have either green or red borders. Red=you get instructions on how to activate/update it to the latest version, green=you are ready to join or host a game.)

Looking twice I now see that in order for the above to work we would need to shift the map selection into the host screen. A step that makes sense to me anyways but is not so easy to do. Else we would need messaging from the host when the map is selected so the others join only then.

Some questions:
How many people use RS? Both http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_protocols and http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_von_Instant-Messaging-Protokollen have no numbers on that.
What's the overhead of RS? Will RS influence latency?

Greetings,

Leo Wandersleb

Michael Schmidt wrote:
Hello,

your game is a multiplayer modus role play game?
we are developing the instant messenger

http://retroshare.sf.net <http://retroshare.sf.net/>
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=618174 <http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=618174>

and are currently implementing some games,
would you be interested in adding your game too, so that two chatters
in the chat window can press a button and play your game over the
communication layer of retroshare messenger?
Is your game organized so, that you play against foreign users? Or would it be possible to organize a game, which is based amoung friends only? Then one buddy could be the server and all other are the client. Please see the next release, which will have the com-layer for game connections, as well they are encrypted then and the profit for you is, that you have no problems with firewall and nat over this layer and that the IP is given automatically to the users Please download the actual version of 52A and test.
leftside menue bottom already has a few games (not networked yet).

Thanks for a feedback, if you game could be as well integrate this messenger for the communication of the gamers..
Mike

--
Wer mir vertrauliches schicken möchte, kann das mit diesem Schlüssel tun:
http://wiki.leowandersleb.de/index.php/Public_Key