Re: [glob2-devel] Beta 3 Release Schedule, packages, translations

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Beta 3 Release Schedule, packages, translations
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:40:41 +0200

Hi

I agree with you that the release should be delayed an extra day or two. I need to update the server and with the lack of memory, it seems impossible at present :(
in case you want to try it, "sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop", try to compile and start again. also you might find a "low memory" option in scons/gcc man pages. i will have a look, too. if the first helps, we might want to set up some "down for maintenance" for those minutes of compiling and go with it.

I should have 256MB of RAM guaranteed. That should be enough to compile glob2.

as you asked me to get a bigger server: i got plans that, taken bradley continues doing a job worth paying for and taken some business plans of mine become real, i will have to save some money somewhere so it's not the right time to expect me getting a bigger server. sorry i'm a bit short on time, too so i didn't upload and can't upload now what i compiled yesterday on my router.
Also, you might be interested to know that those scripts are only run once. So checking when they were last used isnt that informative. The actual process genixpro setup is it tries to start the server every 5 seconds or so. To update, you dont need to rerun the script. What you actually do is recompile the glob2 binary, go into YOG, and as an admin account, type server_restart. What that does is kill glob2, and then the already running shell script kicks in and bind the server to the ports again. Its quite clever actually, although a continuous attempt to start the server every 5 seconds might have some effect eventually.
weired. so i replace the running binary, kill it and it gets started over again if the 5s-timer sees it's not running? strange, but looks like it works. will save us if the server crashes. will it save us once the server freezes in some infinite loop, too?

4 S root 11863 1 0 76 0 - 584 wait Apr07 ? 00:00:00 sh Beta1YOGServer.sh 4 S root 11865 1 0 76 0 - 584 wait Apr07 ? 00:00:00 sh Beta3YOGServer.sh

i forgot to ask: is beta2 served via beta3? most people interested in glob2 should be running beta2 clients.

Greetings,

Leo Wandersleb