Re: [glob2-devel] Beta 4 Continued Plan

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Beta 4 Continued Plan
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:20:20 +0200

hi

> Secondly, scores aren't going to matter that much. Its just a game,
> and people aren't going to be comparing scores over time. What matters
> more is how a player compares to another player, especially if we want
> to do auto-matching.

with "over time" you refere to the problem of inflation/deflation?
well if we have a ranking, people will care to be top.
if we have an inflation (noobs join with 100 ponts, loose them and never play
again), the strongest player will quickly be topped by not playing for a while.
the other way round would be even worse. the said to be strongest player never
defends his title.
players will not want that kind of scoring.

> Decoupling should not become a problem, the number of games needed to
> do it would be huge, and if people do, their scores won't matter until
> they play someone else anyhow, where their score will quickly be
> proven wrong.

people do care about positions on the ladder believe me on that.

> I very highly reccomend we stick to a simple and structured calculas.
> The chance a player wins is his score + his allies scores against the
> sum of his enemies scores, we do the expected value from there,
> adjust, like given in the wiki page.  The more complex we make the
> score formulas, the more room for error, however this
> bottom-simplicity approach is based entirely on simple statistical
> analysis and should be more than good enough.

so if one plays against 5 noobs? with our university quake 1 ladder we called
that something like noob harvesting.

> Player scores should be given streamlined in the game or won't matter
> to players at all. We can't have it in a website, very few people will
> look at them, not to mention that it will seem irrelevent.

i would either put it on a website or both.
people will want to see what happened to their ladder position while they were
away.
that's about building a community.

> I'm working on a Map Upload/Download system streamlined into the game,
> including ratings, filters, and perhaps catagories. I haven't yet
> decided what categories there will be.

great. guess we don't need categories. maybe tags. a map has tags and if you
click on them you get all maps with the same tag?

Greetings,

Leo Wandersleb