Re: [glob2-devel] Features needed for campaigns

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Features needed for campaigns
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:26:36 +0200

Hi!

> * The ability to get the current players ID

I see this as a problem for multiplayer games. The script has to run
the same on each computer, but the current player id is different on
each computer. I think you can safely assume that player id 0 is the
human player in a solo game.

> * The ability to store building and unit locations to be able to reload them
> in the next map of the campaign.

I like this feature. But how is it supposed to work? If the next map
is different, there might be no meaning to transpose the buildings
from one map to the other. I guess that the next map has to be
identical to the current one. If so, the only thing that changes is
the script. Then why not write a longer script that has both maps
scenarii?

> * The ability to load the next campaign map from within the game, rather
> than taking the play back to the campaign screen, using a prompt, and
> loadMap function

I'm not sure this is desirable. The campaign screen acts as a pause
point between maps, it IS the prompt screen. You are supposed to be
able to go back there as you wish and continue the campaign.

> This email has been in my drafts box for 2-3 days, and I can't think of
> anything else at this point, so I'll send it.
>
> So, are any of these possible either in the current SGSL or in the future
> libUSL? Ignore the syntax or execution, just focus on the ideas. And don't
> be too quick to say no. Without a few of them, you wont get very interactive
> campaigns like most other games have :(

I guess they can be done, but the semantics have to be specified a bit more.

Martin