Re: [glob2-devel] Todo List For Beta 4

From: Ethan Tira-Thompson
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Todo List For Beta 4
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:07:52 -0400

although we might tweak them for 1 wide passages.

Yes. We also could implement game features that prevent many 1 wide passages.

A semi-related thought, one of the frustrations with the path planning is traffic flow through narrow passages.

What if we increased the stacking limit so globs can pass through each other? Just while in transit, and perhaps only when moving in opposite/orthogonal directions... so still block them from sitting on top of each other at target destinations.

This would essentially punt on the need to implement some kind of inter-glob planning for congested areas. I think it would effectively speed up path-planning by leading to fewer failed/extended paths (which cost more to compute). Further, if glob movement speed is reduced while they're passing by each other, it wouldn't affect game play too much (you'd still want to leave more room to allow better traffic flow), but would improve apparent glob intelligence.

On the other extreme, we could leave it to players to explicitly manage by adding some kind of traffic light feature, but some might consider that the kind of micromanagement that Globulation seeks to avoid...

-Ethan