Re: [glob2-devel] Drawing the minimap

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Drawing the minimap
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 09:18:42 +0200

On Saturday 18 October 2008 22:57:33 jon Neal wrote:
> I hadn't noticed before, but every time the minimap is redrawing a gray
> line moves down it that looks rather ugly and not smooth at all. Wouldn't a
> better solution be to draw it on an off screen buffer, then transfer it to
> the spot where the minimap is on the screen? This could prevent an issue
> like it loading halfway on a slower system, and it would get rid of the
> gray line.

Hi,

We have discussed this many times in the last 10 years... and we got to the
conclusion that although its original reason is smootheness of minimap
computation, it is still ok as it gives a radar style. However, if someone
really wants to change this, I'm not against, but that is not high priority.
For instance, putting minimap in 128x128 now that width of right panel has
been extended would be better, as it would allow for faster drawing of the
minimap, by removing the current subpixel anti-aliasing.

Have a nice day,