Re: [glob2-devel] GSOC

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] GSOC
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:34:02 +0100

Hi

>> 2) sound fx
>
> Yes, but take care that the problem here is more the content than the code.
> By
> the way, I could provide some sounds effect if we know what we want.

I doubt the sounds would really be the problem. Wanna bet that if you take a
beep.wav, copy it to
sounds/test/
  harvest_wood.wav
  harvest_wheat.wav
  warrior_hungry.wav
  explorer_hurt.wav
and make it work so picking test in the preferences->sounds-dropdown, people
will provide alternative sound sets within weeks.
this is a hen-egg-problem since years.

if it is trivial to implement, please do so! i also doubt this would be a good
task for GSOC if nothing else is included but the coding part could include many
sound sources respecting distances and doppler etc. hooking in the sound events
can also be done loosely coupled or mixed in like many other subsystems.

>> 3) 3d grafix
>
> I have doubt about this. I do not think that a GSOC project could be about
> doing graphics (after all, it is a summer of _code_), and a 3D engine without
> graphics is useless. Worst, il would dilute our already weak work force.

again, there are grafix guys that would do the buildings and units if they are
easy to integrate. we need to enable them to do so.
with a good software design, it should be possible to not have to switch to 3d
but rather have it a setting. i know that we do not have that kind of decoupled
software design :(

> We could maybe think about working with the new script. Martin, what do you
> think about this idea?

campaigns stuff?

> Another idea would be to add improvements to the core engine, such as adding
> paving area, resurecting the wild animal concept (but again this depends on
> graphics), or improve the engine to suit the graphists's needs (see Dryad's
> mail some weeks ago).

although paving areas is one of my most favorite want-haves, to me this is more
of academic interest to further reduce micro management. to get glob2 on track
we need more general improvements. animals, sounds and 3d make the gaming
experience denser so i would rather vote for those.

Greets

Leo Wandersleb