Re: [glob2-devel] Possible financing for Globulation

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Possible financing for Globulation
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:20:44 +0100

Hi Leo,

Thank you for your answers and advices. I agree that the business model is the most critical part. I was thinking of developing the gameplay (maps, campaigns, maybe some improvements on the engine) of Glob2 around the theme of the environmental effects of human actions. This would allow a business model based on donations by large companies that are interested in promoting durable development in a technological context.

This model already proved successful for the "Home" movie:
        http://www.home-2009.com/us/index.html
This film has a budget of 12 million USD and is released in the public domain ;-)

So the key element is to find donation by large companies and foundations. I was thinking of finding someone from a business school to look for money and to manage the project on a daily basis. While it is always a bit tricky to mix open source with money, I think that we can manage it. In the worst case, the business part collapses and Glob2 still make progresses.

Kind regards,

Stéphane

--
Dr Stéphane Magnenat