Re: [glob2-devel] hi its a new!

From: Aj
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] hi its a new!
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:28:07 +0000

On 02/21/2012 09:03 AM, Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> i'm trying to change characters and buildings with new 3d ones... and
>> also musics and game sounds... and after that i will share with you if i
>> did! :D    and then we need a Story for Campaign  whats your idea? ;)
>
> I am one of the original author. I'm glad that you like the game and
> wish to contribute :-) The campaign story is being discussed in [1] on
> the Wiki.
>
> For everyone, as you probably know one of the most complicated part of
> Glob2 is the multiple state machines for the units. This complexity
> might also be one of the reason why we got so few contributions to the
> core engine, because they are not easy to understand for newcomers. I've
> been thinking in the last 10 years for a way to improve the writing of
> state machines, and I think I finally got something: In the context of
> robotics research, and based on a co-routine library available on
> Internet, I've written an executive layer [2] that replaces state
> machines with continuations [3], exploiting the "yield" keyword of
> python. This allows to write things like:
>
> path = pathFindToBuild(myBuildingId)
> for pos in path:
>     updatePos(pos)
>     yield WaitCondition(me.frameCounter > 32)
> me.trainInBuilding(myBuildingId)
> yield WaitCondition(me.trainingStep > 128)
>
> Some years ago we started USL, a scripting-language project within glob2
> aiming at providing such features, but it never got finished because of
> lack of manpower. It might be better to use bare python. CPython does
> not support sandboxing but pypy does [4]. Pypy even has improved support
> for co-routines compared to CPython [5].
>
> Well, these was some idea I think might help Glob2's development to resume.
>
> All the best,
>
> Stéphane
>
> [1] http://globulation2.org/wiki/Universe_Background
> [2] https://github.com/ethz-asl/teer
> [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation
> [4] http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/sandbox.html
> [5] http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/stackless.html

I would be highly interested in Python. I already said that C/C++ is not
really my thing (I still need to take the time to learn it well). Python
is my language of choice. If anyone manages to get something working
with Python, I will happily test it, report bugs, and assist in writing
documentation where possible.

Thanks for bringing up the topic, Stéphane.