gluster-devel

Re: [Gluster-devel] Re; Load balancing ...

From: gordan
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Re; Load balancing ...
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:52:55 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Gareth Bult wrote:

Sorry, I'm trying to follow this but I'm coming a little unstuck ..

Am I right in thinking the rolling hash / rsync solution would involve syncing the file "on open" as per the current system .. and in order to do this, the server would have to read through the entire file in order to create the hashes?
(indeed it would need to do this on two servers to create hashes for
comparison?)

Yes.

So .. as a rough benchmark .. assume 50Mb/sec for a standard / modern SATA drive, opening a crashed 20G file is going to take 400 seconds or six minutes ... ? (which would also flatten two servers for the duration)

It would certainly ber beneficial in the cases when the network speed is slow (e.g. WAN replication).

Whereas a journal replay of 10M is going to take < 1s and be effectively
transparent.
(I'm guessing this could also be done at open time ??)

Journal per se wouldn't work, because that implies fixed size and write-ahead logging. What would be required here is more like the snapshot style undo logging.

The problem with this is that you have to:

1) Categorically establish whether each server is connected and up to date for the file being checked, and only log if the server has disconnected. This involves overhead.

2) For each server that is down at the time, each other server would have to start writing the snapshot style undo logs (which would have to be per server) for all the files being changed. This effectively multiplies the disk write-traffic by the number of offline servers on all the working up to date servers.

The problem that arises then is that the fast(er) resyncs on small changes come at the cost of massive slowdown in operation when you have multiple downed servers. As the number of servers grows, this rapidly stops being a workable solution.

Gordan