gluster-devel

Re: [Gluster-devel] RPM / BerkeleyDB on GlusterFS

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] RPM / BerkeleyDB on GlusterFS
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 21:08:31 +0000

Brent A Nelson wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Gordan Bobic wrote:

Brent A Nelson wrote:
I believe you're looking for shared writable mmap support, which requires a very recent (maybe) or painfully-patched FUSE; it's not really up to GlusterFS (I think it will probably just work, if your FUSE is somehow able to support it).

I was actually more thinking about an option to rpm/bdb to make it no use mmap.

I don't know for rpm; apt-get certainly did not have any such option, although someone did create a patch to disable it in apt-get.

BDB seemingly has such options, but I haven't managed to get them to work. Putting the mmap disabling flag in /var/lib/rpm/DB_CONFIG did nothing. :(

So, if you can't get shared writable mmap to work, try the workaround with tmpfs or another filesystem (perhaps even an NFS mount of a GlusterFS directory).

Would that actually work? Exporting /var/lib/rpm via NFS and mounting it to fake some kind of mmap support? It's an inspired solution, I'll grant you that. I'll have to try it. :-)

tmpfs certainly worked in my case, and others claimed that NFS in general would work.

The with the tmpfs solution is that it requires extra work to keep the rpm DBs in sync. Not ideal.

NFS to a filesystem that doesn't itself support shared writable mmap (such as GlusterFS or any other FUSE filesystem)? Well, we probably won't know for sure until you try it. ;-)

Well, I'm trying to get it working at the moment, but when I'm exporting it from glusterfs I get:

mountd: Cannot export /var/lib/rpm, possibly unsupported filesystem or fsid= required

I am using the fuse stuff from here:
http://ftp.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/fuse/fuse-2.7.3-2.src.rpm

Am I missing something?

Gordan