gluster-devel

[Gluster-devel] Config advice?

From: David Braginsky
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Config advice?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 01:33:51 -0800

Hey guys,

I am trying to set up glusterfs on a few hundred nodes and was hoping for some
advice.

I have a few hundred machines, spread across two datacenters, in racks of 40
nodes. These machines act as in-memory servers, but during startup need to load
their data off disk. Each server is replicated, so several machines serve the
same data. Therefore, on startup, each file will be loaded by several machines
at once. The data is written via appends to a set of log files, which are
periodically rotated.

I don't know how well glusterfs would handle cross-datacenter writes, so my
plan is to have a separate fs on in each datacenter. I plan on using the same
server machines to run the fs. My naïve approach is to pick a replication
factor (4), generate a bunch of AFR clusters (numNodes / replicationFactor),
then use DHT to map my data onto the AFT clusters. That way each file will get
mapped onto 4 machines, which should handle the read throughput as well as
failures. Does that make sense?

Or would it be better to use AFT over DHT? Or HA in some capacity? Is there any
way to achieve rack affinity? It'd be nice if reads were done from the local
rack when possible.

I can imagine all of these setups, but some require more complicated config
files than others. Any advice would be appreciated.