gluster-devel

Re: [Gluster-devel] bit rot support for glusterfs

From: Jeffrey Darcy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] bit rot support for glusterfs
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 09:00:40 -0500 (EST)

> I will be starting to work on bit rot detection for glusterfs.

That's magnificent, and not only because it's a valuable feature.  It's great
to see you still exhibiting such initiative.  :)

> 1. Depend on change-log to recompute checksum. This eliminates
> periodic crawl of brick/volume to update the checksum.

Absolutely.  This was always my biggest objection to Doug's design.  Crawling
simply doesn't scale well.  Even for local replication we're moving to a more
log-based approach.  The design you cite also mentions AFR-specific artifacts
like outcast, which need to be avoided both as a matter of general practice and
because those artifacts might no longer be relevant a year from now.

> 2. Policy to determine when checksum to recomputed. If a file is under
> going active I/O, then compute checksum only after a delay

This might play into what we are (or at least I am) planning with respect to
tiering, HSM, data classification, or whatever you want to call it.  In fact,
it might be something that you don't need to worry about at all.  If a
volume/pool is divided into a "live" part geared toward high performance and an
"archival" part geared toward longevity and storage efficiency - slower drives,
erasure codes and/or bit rot detection instead of AFR/NSR - with transparent
migration between them, then you might just be able to say that anything placed
under your purview will have bit rot detection applied.  To put it another way,
the policy would be applied elsewhere in the system.