[Gm2] Summary of Modula-2 dialect questionnaire

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] Summary of Modula-2 dialect questionnaire
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:50:42 +0100

Hi,

Here is a summary of the questionnaire.

  PIM dialect of language   4
  ISO dialect of language   5

  PIM Libraries             3
  ISO Libraries             4

Assuming that this survey is representative of the m2 programming
community then clearly GM2 needs to reflect the level of ISO support.
It is currently PIM based - with some ISO features.  I propose that
extra language flags are introduced, say -Wpim and -Wiso.

The good news is that the lexical analysis is already ISO compliant,
the bad news is that the grammar is not.. we probably need two
distinct grammar files to achieve this. Of course many of the symbol
build routines will be identical, so there is plenty of scope for code
reuse :-)