Re: [Gm2] Hello World !

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Hello World !
Date: 26 Sep 2003 00:23:07 +0100

Matthias Kurz <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi.
>
> After the success stories in the last time i could not withstand to
> try it myself, again. So i tried to build it under Solaris.
>
> Additionally to the 2 already reported problems i found a bashism
> in "gm2/tools-src/buildpg", where the bash specific keyword "function"
> is used in two function declarations (one can just leave it out).
> And then there was a second problem in "gm2/tools-src/makeversion".
> The Solaris "expr" does not know the "match" keyword. Instead one has
> to use the "colon" syntax: "expr s : rex" instead of "expr match s rex".
> The "colon" syntax is also understood by other expr implementations
> (e.g. the GNU one).

Hi Matthias,

thanks for these portability corrections.

> In the end i found that "DESTDIR" is ignored during "make install"
> for the following things:
> info/gm2.info
> lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.8/3.3.1/gm2/    (whole dir tree)
> bin/h2def
> bin/gm2m
> bin/gm2
> This brings problems during packaging (i want to package it for the
> OpenPKG project http://www.openpkg.org/).

thanks for spotting these bugs, I've now correct them (I think)
and will upload the latest cvs sources in 24..48 hours time..

> PS: Has anybody ever tried gm2 on non-intel architectures ?
>     This would be the next thing, i'd have to try.

good idea, I'll try on an ancient Sparc Ultra 1 I have here - though
it is running Debian stable - so a Sparc Solaris test would also be
interesting..

Thanks for the feedback,